Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Observe as I use Quantum Mechanics to do stuff

So I have no idea how neurons work. I want to be a physics major, not a brain surgeon, anyway... but if this is completely wrong, whatever. Sue me.

To begin, from what I learned from being a jerkoff in AP Bio last year, the brain is like a network of electrical signals, where thoughts and signals are created when electrical impulses are fired through the neurons via chemical ions travelling through little nanotubes, yadda yadda etc ad infinitum.

BUT WHERE THE HELL DOES IT ALL START?

Why do I worry about things? How is it that when I want to recall something, I just can? It seems all too good to be true - Your brain, technically just an advanced machine with loads of little wires, can just do stuff? Whenever it wants? That's like saying your computer, once it's on, can just do anything it wants when it's on. Literally, the same thing. So why is it that we can think, that we have free will?

Well, according to me, we don't. That's why.

When I think of these neurons firing, the first thing I think of is electricity. When I think of electricity, I think of differences in charge, and when I think about charges, I think about electrons and protons... and when I think about electrons, I think about the probability involved in quantum mechanics.

So therefore, there are electrons floatin' around in your brain. Thanks to Heisenberg, you wouldn't be able to know where they are or how fast they're moving, just that they're there. And if you ask me, that's free will for ya... there is none

In less convoluted words, thought is the most random thing possible because it relys completely on quantum mechanics and the random movements of ions in your head. Sure, one random fire can cause a whole chain of thought, but

Fuck it, I have no idea how to explain any of this shit. But I know what I'm saying. If you don't like it, stop reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i will not stop reading. you cant make me