Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ryan, you conceited pig!

It is my desire to become wickedly successful... or at least good enough for a wikipedia article (and a good, linked-to one, not some stupid stub), though I'm shooting for textbook entry.
Why?
Well, as you can probably relate, 17 year olds are the angstiest, most existentialist breed. At this age we start to fear death, and eventually come to our own conclusions about it, and while some of us turn to religion, most of us just come to terms with the fact that nothing happens afterwards.
Me? I've decided that in order to have any sort of afterlife, all I have to do is do something or be something memorable. Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Napoleon, Caesar... These people will never die and will be forever outlived by their achievements. I want that. I don't know how yet... nobel prize? Cure something? Write a classic? Who knows? I just want to never be forgotten- and maybe I'll live on in people's memories.
...
I actually wanted to make this a blog post about why I have a list of people I'm never talking to again but I don't think I could fit that in here at all. I guess the short of it is that if I manage to reach the aforementioned goal, you'll probably want to speak to me. Not because of how we used to be friends or whatever, but because I'm wickedly successful and you'll want to brag about knowing me or whatever. The "never talk to again" list is not for people I rarely speak to in the first place because I doubt I'll remember them anyway. The list is composed of people I thought I was close to who, when I ultimately thought about it, don't value my friendship at all. These people were the first to stop speaking to me once I was out of their lives, and nothing will give me greater satisfaction when I am sitting behind my mahogany desk in 50 years to have the following conversation with my secretary:
"Excuse me Ryan, ____ is here to see you. They say they knew you from high school."
"I don't know a ____. Please get them out of my office."

I suppose that's my own take on karma. Maybe I'm sick in the head, maybe I'm expecting too much, and maybe it's conceited, but hey, don't come crying to me. I probably won't remember who you are.

No comments: