Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Thoughts on NSOP

Thanks to some strange nights and packed days, there really hasn't been much to talk about on my blog. I really didn't think about any of it, I kinda just floated about for a week, trying to experience as much as I could and all that jazz. Classes started today and I'm trying to get my head back into some non-intoxicated, school-oriented state. Well, let me get straight to it.

Orientation is for getting students acclimated to their school environment. Strangely at Columbia, it doesn't do that at all. From NSOP, a student could gather that Columbia was a happening party school, where the frats welcomed any and all students every night, beer flowed like water, hookah bars were set up on all the steps, bedtime never came, and where one could simply hop on the subway whenever and end up wherever.
Not that that's a bad thing.
Orientation has been a friendmaking whirr for me. I try hanging out with old chums from my outdoor orientation program, but am quickly pulled aside by a "hey you should meet" or "hi my name is" or whatever. It's a strange experience to learn so many names, have so many conversations, all that.
As it came to a close, I realized that NSOP is a precious time to live the Asher Roth college life and do whatever you want. Now it's coming to a close and it's time to start my actual college experience, study for my degree, and live the rest of my life.
Class has started now, and suddenly the necessity of doing my work and actually doing stuff is hanging over my head. It's odd to finally have obligations, but in all honesty, it's really, really exciting; and aside from the fact that my LitHum section has three "that guys," my schedule is fantastic and I'm happy to be learning new things, finally.
I know this post wasn't really insightful or anything, but I'm still here and I'm still blogging.

No comments: